Monday, October 31, 2005

Ass loads of pumpkins.

So I might be able to get myself a little deal on a crap load of pumpkins.

Seeing how it is near the end of the season, the local lovable organic garden supply store down the street has a little of a glut on pumpkins. The cool thing is that within the supply of endless giant pumpkins and others suitable for nothing other than jack-o-lantern making, lies an abundance of cute pie pumpkins. The possibilities for such pumpkins really doesn't have much of a limit. We could cook off the meat and make puree for such purposes as pies, soups or risottos to name a few. Or we could just cube the pumpkin and toss it into a salad, really whatever we want.

If I don't buy what they have left of the pumpkins, there is a good chance that they are going to fall victim to a fate of becoming compost. The farmer who grows them just takes the previous years pumpkins and tills them into the soil, which is a good idea. I guess this particular farmer is retired but has a large portion of land which was sitting unused. So the owners of the little organic garden shop I mentioned convinced him to start growing pumpkins for them. He doesn't use any chemicals so although they don't technically carry the "Organic" moniker, they are naturally grown. To achieve organic certification really is almost more work than it is worth, especially for someone like this farmer who is doing so for purely a recreational pursuit.

Now I will have to see what kind of deal they are going to give me when I come in there tomorrow. Tonight I was able to get 2 pumpkins for two dollars and eleven cents after tax. Considering I might be buying a couple hundred pounds of pumpkins, I am guessing that the cost will be minimal.

The owner of the cafe got a dog this weekend. Some sort of a "Labrodoodle" which she named "Vigo" sadly after the Lord of the Rings star. I have to admit that the dog is flipping cute like she said, really flipping cute. The idea was that the dog would eventually become the mascot of the cafe, and would be passed around from employee to employee communally. I factor into that equation considering that I am running the kitchen, we shall see if I actually get possession of the dog when it comes to be my turn. I wouldn't really mind having a little dog to help me in my endless pursuit of finding women who want to date me. Just like a cool car makes a guy seem that much cooler, a cute puppy makes a guy seem that much more approachable.

I almost want a dog of my own now, it wouldn't really be right with how much I am busy with work right now. I think a dog deserves more attention than I would be able to give it, hell I wasn't able to give my wife enough attention, what makes me think I would be able to do so with a puppy.

Time to Halloween-i-fy my casita, I hope I get trick-or-treaters this year.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]