Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Bakery Drama.

So first off one of my bakers is pregnant.

Three months along and I JUST found out a couple days ago. I guess that the entire kitchen knew, and somehow managed to keep the secret from myself and the owner. Even the son of one of the other bakers knew, he is 6 years old. I wasn't really expecting this coming from this particular baker, last I had heard she had a girl not boy-friend. Anyway she seems to be happy about the whole ordeal, which is of course good.

I just find it pretty amazing that everyone was able to keep the secret from us, but I guess I am no longer in the "know" now that I am the boss. I hate that people might think of me a little differently than they would have if I was just a cook, but inevitably that is the progression of things.

Now the other baker, the one with the 6 year old is also pregnant, albeit at a point where it is no longer much of a secret. She is due to burst here within the next few weeks, and I am sure she is wishing it would come sooner. The drama is two fold here, the first is that she is having a child (son) with one of the shift supervisors, which I guess isn't that big of a deal. So really that isn't much drama, the drama really starts when I think about how she quit on my tonight.

In the last few weeks, her concentration has been off, which I am sure has to do with her pregnancy. Isn't it true that in one day more hormones course through a woman's veins than in her entire child bearing years sans child? We were expecting that she wouldn't be quite as good as she regularly would be, that just goes with the territory. But to her I think it was too frustrating, and tonight it just came to a head. She really shouldn't be working right now, her body is too worn out from just carrying the baby, let alone having to work and care for little punchy 6 year old.

So she quit on me tonight, although she didn't have the gumption to actually tell me to my face. She had some problems, a couple of recipes didn't turn out right, and she just lost it and said she had to go home. She also started spouting off about how there wouldn't be a place for her to come back to, and how she had no job security (totally false). I think that she is creating a scenario in her mind to justify to herself getting some time off before the baby comes. So somehow she is fabricating that her job is in jeopardy so she decided to quit before it slips away from her.

Rational eh?

Pregnant women I have found as of late aren't the most rational of all "god's" creatures.

So we are giving her a day and then we are going to call her and explain that she does in fact still have a job after her maternity leave. Luckily the owner is opting to do the calling, I don't know how good I would be at such things.

Although it might be one of those cry for attention things, they say this isn't the first time she has done something like this.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]