Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Contemplation/Procrastination

Alright well the more I contemplate taking a couple of months off to just bum around Europe after I get the divorce all settled, the more appealing it all sounds. Furthermore the more I think about it, the more possible it seems. Aside from my job I don't see any reason why I would have to not take a trip like that.

First off I have to figure out where I would want to go, and what aside from cycling I would want to do. I have this little fantasy going about cycling from restaurant to restaurant all across Europe, shadowing in each one, learning while I vacation. I wouldn't really be able to spend too much time in any given city, but just the experience I think would be worth it.

I think I should start where I speak the language, I assume that would make things expediently easier. So that narrows us down to England, Spain, or any of the former Yugoslavia states. While my Serbo-Croat skills are limited, I consider myself at least proficient in both Spanish and to a lesser degree English. Europe does seem to be so multi-lingual and if I had myself a little translator I bet I would be able to find my way around near any place I went to. Trips to Amsterdam are always affordable, why couldn't I just start there and work my way around?

There is a pretty good how-to article on Sheldon's site all about how to get things planned out to do so. I am especially fond of the idea of buying picture travel books and trying to visit the areas within all those pretty photographs.

If I plan things right, I might be able to take literally half of a year off to do so. Think about it, with all the cash from selling the house/car/computers/couches/bikes/etc etc, and the relative cheapness of a bicycle vacation, there would be little overhead. Staying in hostels and/or camping I am near certain wouldn't cost me as much as a 2 week vacation in some expensive resort somewhere. I am guessing it would do great things for my mental/physical well being.

What's up with Felipe's gratuitous/annoying use of the "slash" as a conjunction?

So now I have to find a bike to buy...

Surly seems to have found one for me.

The frame is about 425, I don't think it would cost me that much to get it all put together. With the exception of the headset press, all the required tools to assemble a bike are sitting in my basement right now. I would need some 36 spoke or higher wheels, something that really could take the weight of myself and all my gear.

Either way I bet I could get myself equipped for anywhere in the range of 2-4ks, including panniers, racks, and gear. The plane ticket would cost about another thousand, but prices obviously might vary some.

First things first, sell the house.

And I didn't even call anyone about it today.

Almost forgot I bought some new records the other day..

Here they are.





I think this was the 4th time I purchased the NWA album, once on cassette when I was just a lad, twice on CD, and now on Vinyl. The Death Cab is heavy duty 180 gram vinyl, makes the rest of my records feel flimsy.

Comments:
Just a thought, but maybe it would be even cheaper to buy a bike in Europe? Maybe one of the hundreds of thousands of commuter bikes in Amsterdam? Or a 70s Italian touring bike that already knows it's way around the Alps?

Just a thought. The cost of shipping the bike might get you a couple hundred dollars better of a bike...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]