Saturday, December 31, 2005

10:30 and the cat is hungry.

I am sitting in my friend shellbenna's room right now, which she was gracious enough to let me use while I am here. So while I get to sleep in the master bedroom of this 1850's Brooklyn brownstone, equipped with it's own private bathroom, she is sleeping on the futon. How did I get lucky enough to find friends like these? The cat slept up stairs with me, more like on top of me, which is ok. Now I just need to locate Yoshi's food somehow without waking everybody up. All of her roommates seem to be more of the late to bed, late to rise sort of people. The apartment is nice, although considering how much they spend for it, in my opinion a little overrpiced. The standards between what you can find here and the relative value for the money are quite different. They pay 2500 dollars a month for a three bedroom in Brooklyn, which to me seems crazy. I have been assured that it is a hell of a deal given the size and location, and listening to stories, it doesn't seem as though they are lying to me.

The city is crazy big, as I am sure anyone who has visited will agree, thought not quite as insane as Tokyo. We walked around and visited my favorite knife shop Korin which was better than I had envisioned. The knives they had were so freaking cool it just blew my mind. I only picked up one little petty, which ran me 120 dollars, as I have some knives coming to me from Osaka in the next few days. The petty I bought was one of the folded steel blades, so it has a cool stratified look on the blade surface.

Aside from that we visited Time Square which was over the top with people preparing for tonight's big ball drop. I think I might just stay as far away from that little area as possible, it was crazy enough last night. Both Shell and I were getting a little tired, she had to wake up at 3:45 and I at 4:30 so we just called it an early night and got pizza at the apartment. Colleen one of her roommates is watching her ex boyfriend's (long story) dog this week, so I went with her for a little stroll around the barrio. It was laid back and a lot more subdued than I would have guessed it to be, not really that many people out and about. We stopped to buy smokes (not for me), 6.50 a pack!! Madness I say.

I don't know when my flight is leaving on Tuesday, so I really should try and figure that one out. I was so hasty in getting ready to leave and everything, that I just picked up and left, not more normal prepared self.

(75% of the women out here are tucking their pant legs into their cowboy boots)

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]