Thursday, December 15, 2005

Winter Biking.

To those not currently living in Minneapolis, it is snowing right now. Not just right now, but it has been snowing for almost the past 48 hours with little respite. At first the temperature was sitting just around the freezing point, so the snow the fell was heavy and slushy. Slushy bike riding can be fun, but also a little messy at times. Like I mentioned yesterday, I got sprayed on more than one occasion as I was passed on the road yesterday.

Now something that was fun about riding around on those slippery slushy roads last night? Skidding was quite a bit mas facil como regular, to the point where I literally could pull off a good 25 footer while still seated. It really was quite perfect for skidding, the roads were just wet enough and icy enough that you didn’t have to worry that much about falling over, but still had that nice layer of lubricant between the rubber and the asphalt.

I did my riding downtown to see the 35th First Avenue anniversary party. It was really a hell of a show, crowded and full of craziness. I am realizing that the longer I stay in this town, the more people I see randomly out and about. It was a little strange, one of my cooks was there, and he was all excited about introducing me to his roommates and buying me a beer. On the same token, I saw one of my old bosses, and remembered times I was just as excited to introduce him to my friends at the Triple Rock once upon a time. Have things really gone full circle like that? To a certain extent it still feels awkward being the “boss” but I am getting more and more accustomed to it as the time passes.

The music was good, The Hold Steady really kicked ass, and there was some good hip-hop in the Entry. I have come to the realization that I don’t care much for the Jayhawks though, just not my scene. They just aren’t really my style of music; they seem just like annoying whinny music snobs. There were some other good bands, but I don’t recall any names. Oh, Curtis A was doing some illegal substance abuse up on stage in the entry right in front of everyone. He followed that smoking with slamming a Jameson on the rocks. This guy was older than my dad, but still he was partying it up like a Cub Scout.

I had a few beers, watched some good music, and had a good time. I left a little earlier than I would have liked, but I was getting a little sleepy from waking up at 5 to install the new range. It was 12:30 when I changed back into my boots and started to head on home. Even with my minor stupor, and with the roads how they were, I still got home in one piece. I had expected to crash at least once, but luckily I was able to get back without so much as a close call. I had toyed with the idea of just spending another half hour or so just riding around and playing in the snow, but sleep got the best of me.

Today I had to do some driving, and compared to last night on the bike I was frightened. It just felt more out of control being behind the wheel of a car compared to being soundly in the pedals. When riding a bike, there is just such a stronger and more subtle connection to the road, every slip, every bump, every little nuance in the road. Driving I just felt such a disconnection to everything going on, I didn’t like it.

Also I got stuck in traffic bringing my fake Christmas tree to my little sis. It took literally 25 minutes to get from 26th and Lyndale to 24th and Lyndale, 2 blocks, 25 minutes. I almost parked the car and carried it the rest of the way.

Quick note, I finally can try the wine I made a little over 2 years ago. It was my first (and only) attempt at making wine, and I did so with the plums from the tree in my backyard. I must say it tastes better than I remembered, but last time I tried it

Aside from that things are good, I already have the new menu ready and all my prep lists menu guides ready in anticipation.

Also I finally am going to get a day off next week. My last day off was the first of December, and I pretty much have been working at least 8 hours each day. With the exception of today where I only worked 4 hours, felt like a day off at least. I have 23-26th off, so three whole days. Granted that will be after working a spell of 22 days straight, it will be nice. Then I come back for 4 days and get another 3 or 4 days off to spend in NYC. Things do seem to be looking up, at least for right now. Who really knows how I my opinion will change next week, volatile should be the word of the year.

(Oh and my bike weighs at least 10 pounds extra with built up ice and snow.)

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]