Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Argh.

Ok what should I be doing right now?

Considering that it is my "admin" day and I don't have anything to do in the kitchen, I should be working, not blogging. I spent the morning in meetings again, which were surprisingly pleasant and very unobtrusive, I like that. I probably am sounding a little like a broken record here, but that whole sitting down in a meeting for extended periods of time just makes me frustrated and bored.

It seems as though we (management staff) are going to be taking a retreat up north here in the next month or so. The guy who is like a occupational advisor (or something like that) has offered up his house to us as a location. I must admit a little trepidation on my part, just thinking about the Cafe being without all the big guns for 2 whole days, but we should be ok. I know the Kitchen will operate just fine without me being there, at least for two days. It is the front of the house that would be a little harder to handle with the two Managers not there, but really I am just being my normal worried self. It would be up at his house on Lake Superior over looking the lake and with equipped with sauna, hot tub and supposedly giant kitchen. I think it would be a fun weekend, even if we would have to talk all about work stuff the entire time. He has himself a pretty good gig, he spends 10 days up north and 4 days in the city working. I am sure he spends a fair amount of his time preparing for all of his clients while at home, as well I am sure he relaxes a great deal. The is only 2 days a week that he is down here "working" practically opposite of everyone else in the US.

I think I just figured out at least next weeks menu, now I have to think about the following week. I going to be in a far off land (Cali) when we roll out the next menu, so I should make sure we know everything that we are planning on doing.

That is mostly just silly though.

Angelita called me today, seems her new job as a wine rep is treating her nicely. What I think is funny is that although literally EVERYONE knows about her hooking up with the Chef of a place I used to work at, she is not telling anyone about it, or at least not me. There was a rumor going around that their little trysts somehow contributed to her getting let go from that job, but no one knows for sure. I have a fear that she is going to have a difficult time adjusting to the rigors of a workweek that entails less than 65 hours, like the rest of us put in as restaurant folk. Lately I myself have been able to limit myself to right around 50 hours, which for me is really good. That of course doesn't take into account the extra work I do at home, like menu writing, and/or cruising different food websites, that is all "research" right? Even so, 50 hours a week is so much better than the 85 hour weeks that made themselves painfully commonplace during this past summer. Now I know come the busy season, I might again have to work more, and really I am ok with that, bring it on.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]