Wednesday, January 11, 2006

DNR

Another day, another dollar right?

Today was a little more aggravating than normal.

First off let me say that my days when I am doing nothing but working in the kitchen I am fine. Bring on the 12-15 hour shifts busting ass the entire way, sweating and smelling like food. I have no problems just putting the pedal straight down to the floor and letting that carb purr full bore as I just do more than any man should be able to handle. Something about keeping moving and always having something to do which is well within my comfort zone.

Then we have days like today. Not that today was bad by anymeans, but it just isn't what I normally like to do. Instead of being busy cooking and cleaning like I usually am, I spent the first 8 hours of my day stuck in meetings. The meetings really don't bother me much either, and the majority of the time I actually find them helpful, you know putting everyone on the same page. Today the first meeting was really fun, it was with the organic farmer which we bought the majority of our produce from this year (during the growing season of course). He brought us statistics of all we bought, broken down by item and compared to his other accounts. I was surprised to see that we were 5th in the rankings for purchases, and above us were all really busy restaurants and or co-ops. We could have been 4th if I would have just bought 1 case more of buttercup squash or a few extra radishes it could have been ours. I liked talking to him immensely, he always has a different perspective on life, and is really nice to boot. I didn't really have anything that interesting which I would want that he didn't have available for the next growing season. I have the links to a couple of organic/heirloom seed websites, so I am going to be doing some perusing here in a little bit.

The next meeting was a little more aggravating. There are so many little things that I need to get done around the restaurant, it almost feels a little insurmountable, or if nothing else overwhelming. I sometimes have a hard time just keeping up with the day to day operations of the cafe, add on writing some manuals, lists, guides and job descriptions and I get a little flustered. I can handle just that, it isn't like I am incompetent or anything, but I then bring in a business consultant who wants me to help plan the implementing of bringing our products to a retail location and I start to feel a little busy. Now I understand that there is a market to bring some of our goods the co-ops and grocery stores, but I just wish it wasn't I who had to figure out how to write nutritional labels, recipes and specs. I am busy enough just planning our weekly changing menu and doing all the ordering. I could let someone else do the ordering, that is true, I just am so much better and more thorough than everyone else is. I don't like leaving things up to chance, which is how it feels sometimes.

I had about 1/2 an hour between the big long meeting and having to conduct another review. This review went well, I think I am getting better about being the whole boss/manager thing. I feel like I am more level headed and sure than I ever was in the past. It is like the pants I bought while I was a little chubby are finally sliding over my engorged thighs, they still feel a little tight, not as comfortable as I like, but I still like showing them off.

Well I think that is about all I had to do today, but there is probably something I missed.

Wait

I got a flat tire as I was leaving work, talk about insult to injury.

I also went for a run, that seems to never fail in making me feel better.

Now I am back at the Chatterbox, (again), and am sad to say that the odds are not really in my favor anymore.

At least that will make Brooklyn girl happy...

16 days left...

Comments:
Hmm. Getting jealous already? Not a good sign.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]