Sunday, January 29, 2006

Orange Juice?

Things you can do while in California.

Drive around, that is pretty much what everyone does around here. Drive here, drive there, be stuck in traffic, it just amazing to me how much time these people spend wasting away in traffic. And sadly that is how a good portion of our time was spend yesterday. Though, we did partake of the 99 cent drink offerings in the crazy tiki bar. I was silly enough not to pack a swimsuit, but at around 1 am BG convinced me that swimming in my undies wasn’t that bad of an idea. Those that know me know that I am not really the greatest swimmer in the world, so just getting me into the pool really is saying something. The late night swimming didn’t last all that long, as the security guard kicked us out, so be it. We high tailed it away from the hotel and headed back towards the beach.

The beach (Venice and Santa Monica) was fun, though I did forget to pick up some sand (sorry Kim). Santa Monica is quite the hipster area of town, everyone dresses up quite trendy. Another observation about Southern california is that everyone seems to be driving around with big hats and giant sunglasses, presumably trying to look famous. The same people all gussied up are peering into everyone’s else's windows looking to see if there are other famous people inside. It is quite the game and as a result everyone is trying to be something a little plastic. That is just my observation, plastic people full of plastic parts, it is just silly.

Once again I was darn lucky in my sense of direction, I successfully found the park where grandpa and I hiked up around the Hollywood sign. BG and I did some serious hiking, and “she kicked my ass” climbing one particularly steep incline. There was more smog today than was yesterday, which changed how far we were able to see into the valley.

The hotel last night was near Manhattan beach, which was nice. We ate sushi at the counter of an obscenely trendy sushi bar in Hermosa. Our sushi chef was the only non-Nihon-Jin working at the counter, in fact I think he might have been from India. It was very cool that he was left handed and I noted that his sujihiki had a left handed bevel he added himself.

We hit up the hot-tub back at the hotel with a couple of women who had so fake breasts they just floated in a very creepy way. It wasn’t like I was attracted to them, but it was hard not to stare, like a car wreck. There was also this creepy guy who I guess only came to the hotel to sit in the hot-tub, but luckily he didn’t stay around the entire time.

Then this morning we took the trek up to Lompoc. Up the 101, driving along the Coast, the views were so damn stunning it just blew my mind. I wish I was not the one who was driving, as I wasn’t able to check out the scenery that much. The way the ocean just crested on the side of the coast was freaking great.

We got to the Grandparent house, and finally got to see a portion of my family which I haven’t seen for a really long time. I think it has been about 10 years since the last time I spend ANY time with any of my extended family. As one can imagine, there were a few initial jitters and awkwardness, but that waned quickly. We had a nice lunch and I threw stones at some big trees with my cousins. I totally kicked that tree’s ass! Those branches didn’t know what they had coming. After lunch we headed over to the nursing home where my 97 year old great-grandma has been staying for the last couple of months. It is amazing that she actually remember who I was and knew thing about my life, I guess the rest of the relatives had been talking. She was amazingly sharp and quick witted, for someone of her age. She remember names of my brothers and sisters, which was incredible. I have this idea about people getting old and just slipping mentally, I am glad to see that this isn’t the case all of the time. On the other hand, there was a lady with crazy hair that just looked at each of us as we passed and asked "orange juice?" That is all she would ask, nothing else, she was a little mental out there.

We said our goodbyes, and BG and I headed off to our third hotel, this one a little north of Lompoc. The hotel seems nice enough, though we are the only people I thing in this entire area of the hotel that consists of about 30 rooms. Sunday night in January in Lompoc probably doesn’t have much that draws the people in.

We might just stay the next couple of days up here in this neck of the woods, I think driving all the way down to San Diego just seems silly since we are already here. Also, there is a little something that I never new about this part of California. This entire area is laden with vineyards, and this was the area which was the setting for the movie “Sideways”. So finding a cute BB close to the wine country and just taking tomorrow to do some cruising around sounds like a fun time to me.

So far I am having one hell of a time, I am amazed at how slow the time is going. I should be working a little to get some work done that I know I will need to finish when I return, but right now I am just taking it easy. Work will always be there, I can just catch up when I get back, fuck work (but if anyone has an idea for my article in the newsletter, feel free to give me your advice).

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]