Friday, January 13, 2006

Quick Update.

Oh well now that I think about things, there really isn't any need to be hasty, really what else do I have to do tonight?

So I may just change this entry to be titled, slow and boring update, which might be more appropriate.

First off, I went thrift store hopping again today, hit two shops, which I didn't get around to yesterday. Did I buy some stuff? Well of course I did, it wouldn't be a trip to the thrift store without finding something to buy. That is the great thing, you get cheap stuff, so if you end up not liking it, or it doesn't fit into your "style" there is no reason not to just place it back into the thrift store network and allow whatever item to get sucked up by the next sucker.

I got myself a couple of hoodies, a pair of wranglers (them butts drive me nuts), and two shirts.

There was a little confusion as I was walking to the changing room of the first place; a Mexican (I say this because of how he talked) man was trying to figure out something about a watch. The lady working the counter didn't understand this gentleman’s English, and granted it was a little sloppy and heavy with a deep Morelos accent. I asked him in Spanish what he wanted to know, which was if the watch was waterproof or not. Although I did relay the question to the counter girl, I didn't wait to hear the answer, it was obvious that the watch was not close to waterproof. The counter lady then called me "Awesome" (no shit) and I just walked into the dressing room to check out my ass in my tight new jeans. It boggles my mind that people living in any city can get around without speaking Spanish in this day and age, not a day goes by where I don't spend at least 1/4 of my conversations either totally in Spanish or if nothing else translating. This might have something to do with my line of work, and the ubiquity of Latinos working in the service industry, but still I don't think it is a phenomenon limited to restaurants.

A while back I heard a statistic that stated by the year 2050, there would be more native Spanish speakers in this country than English speakers, and I have no problem believing this. Even when I look at my friends, of those who are native English speakers (read white) they just aren't reproducing. In contrast, most of my friends from south of the border (read Ecuador, Mexico, and Dominican Republic) all have children and are eager to have more. It might be that my experience is isolated to those familiar to me, but I have a sinking suspicion the birth rates are higher among Latinos. Catholic upbringing might have something to do with this, or maybe just a higher regard of "family" which is in stark contrast to the narcissistic tendencies exhibited by my friends (any myself). Couple this disparity between birthrates with the influx of migration from Spanish speaking countries and it is easy to imagine how the population will be a little diverse in a short time. I personally think it is for the best, change the status quo a little, stir things up, and hopefully bring a different perspective to the population in general. Getting rid of the xenophobia so prevalent across our fair country would do nothing but good in my book.

After my shopping I called up my ex-sister-in-law and got things in line to pick up the knives that I have been waiting for. I never really expected that the knives would actually get to me, after all I asked for them far in advance of my ex-wife’s little trip to Japan. As it became clear that things were more hostile and uncomfortable between us, I figured I would just have to buy my own knives here stateside. I didn’t really care that much, my knives are still “redneck” sharp, which is the gold standard of knives among at least those I work with. In fact those enigmatic knives finally made their way into my hands and I am gawking at them as I type this. It is more difficult for me to actually find high quality Japanese knives here in the states, mostly because of my handicap, or left-handedness. Funny thing is though, one of the knives that I got, wasn’t left handed at all, and I have the feeling I could have purchased the EXACT same knife back in NYC with the proper bevel for a comparable price. The other (usuba) would have been a little more difficult to find here in the US, even at the store I went to in NY, which would have had to order it like everyone else.

All and all I like the knives, although they aren’t what I had asked for.

I hit up the Chatterbox last night, yes again. This time it was because of a birthday gathering, which I really could not have missed. Sitting talking shit with the “crew” I saw some old Chefs I used to work with a couple of years ago come in. I guess the Chatterbox is their Thursday hang out, they get together and talk shop, drink beer, cause trouble. I talked to them for a while, and during the conversation Esteban stated that he might try and write a little piece on the Café and I for a local magazine. I wouldn’t turn down the publicity, bring it on right?

There was a bunch more that happened, but I don’t know how much more I will be able to keep all of your interests. So I am inserting some strategically placed photos of my knives, just to break of the monotony of my prose, I hear that is a good way to keep the readers attention.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]