Monday, April 10, 2006

New meetings fixin stuff etc.

Today was another full day, not just with business but just in general. I find that my time is stretched further away from actual cooking and more focused on managerial duties. I guess I am a manager so that does come with the territory right? I have said it before I often miss the days when my biggest concern was if a dish tasted good. Enough with the lamenting Felipe, onto blogging.

We have been having a little difficulty with our hood system lately, something is causing it to trigger off and on for no apparent reason. When the stove top is full of crap and the ovens are cooking up a storm, the last thing you want is for your air to suddenly crap out on you. We at the cafe are lucky in the regard to that we do not have a fryer or grill to worry about, that really makes it so that a restaurant cannot open, probably a health code violation to have inoperable air flow. I remember one time that happened at a restaurant I worked at a couple of years back, the whole place filled up with black smoke, we had to open the doors and get fans in there just to make it breathable. No good. Anyway so my system has been going off and on with no rhyme or reason for the last couple of weeks. Today marks the third time I have called the service company to check things out, and luckily this time he actually found something. There is a little wire that is shorting somewhere in the system, a little wire that required the hvac tech to crawl into the hoods into the service compartment and look for a junction box or some crap. Basically it would be like replacing the fuel pump on my old subaru, the engine would have to be taken near all the way apart just to access the part that needs repair. C'est la vie I guess, now what is the french for Fucking Expensive? Even if it doesn't affect me personally, I still get pissed off having to spend money on repairs, gets my goat.

Onto the meeting(s).

The only meeting that I engaged in of any consequence was with the reps of a rival warehouse company. I don't know if any of you know this, but I hate god damn sysco with a passion that is unabating, worsened by the fact that I am pretty much regaled to order some stuff from them just pisses me off even worse. Today I started the ball rolling with a different company, which provides me with such great pleasure you really would not believe it. It does all come down to price and quality though, so I am still approaching things under the guise that we may in fact not end up being able to buy anything from this company. Never hurts to check things out though right?

Aside from that what is happening?

Well the weather is freaking awesome here right now, a little windy but so warm that after I shower I will break out my shorts from deep within my closet. I think it is getting close to about 70 degrees, hard to believe. The good thing about living out here where it gets to bitch ass cold that you cannot leave the house without every extremity double wrapped is that you really appreciate the nice weather once it finally arrives. Perhaps however that is what we tell ourselves to provide some solace throughout the winter, when I was in Cali it seemed like those residents were doing a pretty good job of "appreciating" the warm weather.

Last and FOR SURE not least is this...

I checked out a new apartment yesterday, one that I got a line on from my buddy Liz. One bedroom, hardwood floors and woodwork throughout, built in buffet, decent kitchen, deep clawfoot tub, (bike) storage in the basement, dining room, living room, free laundry, off street parking, etc. Want to know the best three things about this place? First off it is 4 blocks away from work, yes just 4 blocks which equals a five minute walk. Second there is no security deposit or lease to sign, big plus. Third is that the rent is just 5 benjamins a month, cheaper than I am paying now and cheaper than pretty much anyone I know is paying for a similar place. Getting the apartment is going to really get me focus on moving on with my life, even though I feel like I am going a pretty good job of that right now, considering the circumstances. I just called and left a message for my new landlords so that I can accept the place, hopefully they will call me back.

Pretty cool eh?

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]