Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Geez..

Ok well today started out like any other, I woke up and got ready for work. The different thing about living in the apartment now is that I have a hard time allowing the snooze to run incessantly for hours. I guess I am afraid of waking up the person who lives above me, so I am up at the first alarm. To put this in retrospect, I usually would set 4 alarms, 2 on my clock and 2 on my telephone. Even so I would just hit snooze over and over until the last possible minute. Today I was up an hour and a half before I needed to be at work, and don't forget it is just a 5 minute walk. So my morning was a little lax.

I must not have knocked on wood quite hard enough when I wrote that "retention" post a couple of days ago. The first thing I got this morning was a 2 week notice from one of my cooks. She is moving on to greener pastures, nothing wrong with that at least she gave me 2 weeks. People move on, it happens I usually don't get pissed about it. At least I had that full time cook waiting in the wings who wouldn't have needed any training what so ever, I could make it work. Ok note the past tense there.

Fast forward about 4 hours....

I get a call from the cook who left and wanted really bad to come back. They decided to promote him at the suburban co-op where he was working and they offered him enough to really make it silly not to take the job. Again a situation where I cannot feel bad at all for them, it just inconvenienced me a little.

So I went from maybe having too many people and fighting to find hours to perhaps total collapse of the kitchen.

This is when I start making calls.

Fast forward another hour and a half....

I have a full time guy hired, lots of experience, good fit for the cafe...

I have another cook who I used to work with long ago who wants to quit his current job and come work full time with me....

Life is good after all....

Something that really does worry me about having to run a kitchen if in fact I do decide to move away from Minneapolis is where the heck am I going to find cooks? Here I have such a solid footing and enough little webs shot out of my spidey webslingers to where I don't have to even really advertise when I need help. In a new city I am sure it is going to be much tougher.


Side note.

I have 2 real estate agents I am going to talk to in the next couple of days, I want to make them fight for my business. Right now I am loyal to no one, I am just waiting for the best deal.

Ok time to ride my bike.

Comments:
Whew! :) You really ought to just stay here. This is a happenin' town!

Glad to hear things are really goind well for you. Life is better when it's full.

Peace!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]