Thursday, June 22, 2006

Good and Bad.

First lets start off with the bad, makes the following portion of the post seem a little more elated.

The Bad.

My tent is far too big for one person, more space than I really needed.

The top of my head is sporting a nice red glow, I must have forgotten that I don't have much in the way of protection up there right now.

I lost my wallet, with all my money, cards, ID, etc.

I passed out the first night listening to my new iPod and drained the battery down to zilch, I brought a back-up ipod, but that only lasted about 3 hours.

Ticks, they are hard to kill the little bastards, fire and uber-sharp objects are really the only way to get them to stop infecting you with nasty lime disease producing bile.

The Good.

fireflies, lots of em.

Both days I was able to start the fire my first try, even after I had used up all my paper and was forced to use leaves and twigs.

I did manage to buy enough food before I lost my wallet.

I did manage to buy beer and whiskey before I lost my wallet (though I used most of the whiskey for more pyrotechnic endeavors than for intoxication).

I had 21 dollars and about 5 gallons in my truck, just enough to get myself home without having to call in any favors.

Someone found my wallet, though at this point I don't really need it anymore. 1/2 hour after I lost it I had all the cards canceled and I needed to get a new ID as a result of this recent move anyway. I just hope the 150 dollars I had in there somehow makes it back to me, not likely.

The stars, I forgot how many luminescent points of light inhabit the skies the further you get from civilization.

My campsite was remote, I picked one where I had a 50+ yard walk, I didn't have to deal with RV campers and their evening satellite TV or children wailing about a grilled cheese (American of course) that didn't have the crusts removed. I was left alone with myself, something I really needed.

I didn't have enough money to buy any smokes, so I think I quit again. It wasn't that long ago that I started, and I feel like this time it is going to stick.

Whilst on one particularly long hike I found a big patch of wild strawberries, little tiny buggers but ripe as can be and sweeter than a bucket full of corn syrup. Considering I had to ration my food, the discovery was very much a welcomed one. It still shocks me how we have mutilated and genetically bred strawberries more for size than for sweetness, albeit the larger size does help with shipping, so much of the strawberry flavor is given up.

I had a good excuse to visit "Global Market" in the old Sears building this afternoon, they put a government center in the basement, and a USbank upstairs so I was able to deposit my check, order a new ID card and get myself some tasty vittles. I also took the opportunity to do a quick ride around the lakes, the summer and the lakes are kind to us filthy voyeurs.

I guess the greatest "good" of my whole camping endeavors was the ability to just unplug from any and everything, get some reading in, just relax and enjoy being away from the heat that pavement and concrete press upon us daily. It had been far too long since the last time I had done anything like that, as my pasty white skin can attest to. Now I just need to get myself some light weight camping gear, big ass back pack and start doing some "real" camping.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]