Sunday, July 16, 2006

Fire, CSA, and Heat.

I have to head to work soon so this is going to have to be quick. It is a bit overly hot right now, like sweaty nasty sticky horrible hot. Everything I hate about Minnesota in the summer, too hot to even want to ride my bike. Last year about this time I remember the major ice company actually ran out of ice, interesting. I have AC in my bedroom, but I am just too cheap to keep it turned on, with the ceiling fan and big floor fan I can usually stay nice and cool.

We at the cafe are a drop off point for an organic CSA farm. This means that every Thursday people come pick up boxes of fresh organic produce from out in front of the cafe, or at least they are supposed to. Often they just ignore or forget to pick up the boxes and the rest is left for us employees to sort through. Add to that the school kids selling produce on Fridays, of which I play "clean up" at the end of the day and buy whatever leftovers ats bargain prices. So for little to no money I have been filling up my fridge with awesome zucchini and yellow squash, lots of onions, broccoli, new potatoes (just last week harvested), snow peas, green beans and grape tomatoes (the tomatoes stay outside the cooler though). Next week we should be able to get some eggplant, that I am looking forwards to.

I got a call last night about 12:30, my friend Molly who lives right on the other side of the river was calling for some reason. I was trying to sleep by that point so I didn't answer. Follow that up with a text message that said just "the railroad bridge is up flames!" This got me up from my slumber and I stumbled the three blocks to the river to take a look. Sure enough just like she said the bridge was blazing, flames spewing and gigantic embers falling off into the Mississippi. They must have been big pieces of railroad ties or something, from my vantage of Franklin I could easily see the flames and falling pieces 1/2 mile up river. This morning you cannot really even notice though, the frame of the bridge is steel and that is still intact. This might change the scheduled greenway expansion though, which sucks obviously.

Comments:
I wish we weren't in the middle of nowhere when you called. At least 10 miles away, maybe as much as 15...

Would have been something to see.
 
Too bad, next time I see a monumental burning I expect you there within 20 minutes or else.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]