Thursday, July 20, 2006

Sparks Tape And Jobs.

I rode the orange bike down to the place I was trying out this morning, no flats 1 point bike -1 point truck. I was a little later than I said I was going to be, arriving 10 minutes or so after 11 am. I would have been on time, but I got caught up when I went to the cafe to pick up my paycheck and tell my sous some ordering stuff. I was talking to some of the hub people about the tour when I noticed how Landis was just going crazy, big time. I don't have a clue where all that energy was coming from but he was far outperforming everyone in the field. Not only was he going faster than everyone, but he was doing it without the support of any team members. He turned a 8+ minute deficit into a scant 30 seconds, well within striking distance.

Anyway the place I worked was nice and slow, nothing crazy and I can see lots of room for improvement. Already I was making changes just in the 3 hours I was "watching". I don't know for sure if I wan't to work there, even within just the capacity of a consultant which is what they want me for. The kitchen is small and there isn't enough business to keep myself occupied as of yet, it could all change especially with one good write up. The neighborhood would be able to support a cafe like that one, but I have my doubts as to if it would ever be as busy as the place I am at right now, probably not.

I got a call while I was there from another place I turned my resume into. So that is 4/4 for resumes turned in and interviews scheduled. So here are my options, run another kitchen, even a slow one. Make ice cream, anyone who knows me knows that for a while I defined myself in terms of my ice cream making prowess. Work on campus as a banquet cook, easy, probably highest paying, most likely insurance. Deliver coffee on bike, which would be by far the funnest job I could get. Imagine how strong my legs would get hauling around a trailer full of hundreds of pounds of coffee through the snow. After a winter of hauling, imagine how fast I would be on my road bike, I would be able to kick the highest gear with ease going uphill into the wind. Hell give me a couple of years of that and I will take that punk Landis on.....

Oh and finally I just bought some new brake cables and bar tape from freewheel this time for the orange bike. They are having a big sale on lots of stuff, I almost bought myself some new Racelite tires, at 19.99 a pop it would be hard to resist. PW talked me out of it saying next time I need some just give him a call, the cost is quite a bit under the sale price. I also got myself two sparks, so this afternoon is going to be spent outside with the bike stand enjoying the weather and relaxing while doing some minor bike repairs.

Um I think that is it.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]