Tuesday, August 08, 2006

work sucks but really we have to get it done.

Ok well just yesterday I turned in a couple of applications in my seemingly never ending pursuit towards being gainfully employed. First being a little restaurant just about a mile from my house, the next being the big hotel opening up in a bit downtown. Both I have fairly high hopes for the both of them, small vs. large, local vs. connections all over the US. I have had a pretty dang high level of respect for both places as well, even though the later still has yet to be opened. I am not really sure which I would prefer, and really it might dictate how the rest of my life both professionaly and in all other aspects.

Think about it, if I take the job in the big new hot restaurant, I would more than likely develop ties and little sticky fingers all over the country. If I wanted a job in Las Vegas, I would almost be assured that it would be mine before I even found an apartment. Not to mention the sheer amount of culinary knowledge that I would learn, just being in the place. There is an enormous amount of pressure on the place to deliver and step up to the plate being up among the best that our quaint twin cities have to offer.

The next place is run by an avid bike geek, big props in my book there.

The food is good, but nothing I haven't done before, just "making the donuts".

After my the two submissions of my applications, I had to head to work and do the whole closing night shift ordeal. The worst part about the passing on of my duties onto the rest of the staff, is that I am no longer in total control. I guess I am a little of an anal control freak, who would have thunk it. But I just have precious few days left and then I don't have to worry about the cafe anymore, que bueno.

So I closed, E2 made some whiskey sours for myself and June, July, August and I fell fast asleep. Couple of hours later I wake up and open the cafe, 6:15 am. It was one of those typically busy days, a little crazy but nothing we weren't able to handle. The dairy boys slipped a little getting the hand cart over a bump and two gallons of milk went tumbling down the stairs to the basement, each step letting out a little bit of their payload. We were left with a basement full of milk and stairs that needed a good bleach moping.

Half way through my shift I hear the tell tale sign of a voicemail, signaling that one of the two places was giving me a call. Not bad, less than 24 hours and a call. Worked a bit longer, made pretty tasty pureed summer fruit soup chock full of melons, pineapple, mango and big chunks of kiwi (just for color).

Again the phone rings.

The big place is giving me a call, they want an interview today... Um ok.

So I was able to leave a little early, I am still after all the boss people still have to listen to me when I put down the mandates (little do they know). Rushed home, got myself all beautified and jumped on the merckx for my quick little jaunt downtown. The interview went well, actually real well being as how he offered me a job. I accepted, but am not going to close the doors on any of the other little things I have working right now, knowing that sometimes things just fall through. Again insert anal bastard here, I like to have all of my bases covered, little gets left to chance.

So that is what I have to mull over for the next couple of days, compounded by the fact that I still have not turned off the posibility of the other jobs calling me and offering me a position. Really I know I should have a job by now but I feel like I am holding out for that "perfect" position.

Keep you posted.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]