Thursday, September 14, 2006

So I am sitting just a few momnets from starting my new (and hopefully long term) employment. I am dang stoked about the whole idea, so I am hoping that I will not be let down after I actually start. I was so stoked that I ordered myself two new knives in celebration of the event. Now did I really need two new knives? Probably not, but I can assure you I will be using the shit out of them. When I visited NY at the begining of the year, I stopped by Korin and picked up what has become my favorite knife, a 5.5" petty made from layered steel. For the longest time I was a proponent of the carbon steel knives, due to the softer steel which in turn makes it easier to hone a sharper edge. These knives are stain resistant, but the edge keeps for much longer than I had expected.

The first knife I bought was a 10.5" sujihiki, a style which has been a desire of mine for many years. Basically the sujihiki is a long slicer, thin and great for such tasks as removing skin, filleting fish etc. I have a slicer that B bought me years ago, which is a wonderful knife, this one is just a little longer and of higher quality. Given that I am going to be working so much with fish and meat, this knife is going to come in handy.

The second knife is as well 10.5" and is a gyotou, or a western style chef knife. What most people typically envision when they think of a chef knife, but again with the layered steel and a nicer handle. I have a couple of chef knives, and I really didn't probably need this one, but with how much I have loved my petty, I couldn't resist.

I also ordered some knife oil, which should be applied to blades that are rarely used, and a cleaning cloth. I don't really know what the cloth is for, or better put how it differs from a common rag. A three dollars I didn't really see any reason not to buy it, especially considering how much I use my knives.

Alright time to start... Or at least in 5 minutes or so.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]