Friday, September 15, 2006

Went well.

Well my first day went well, I only had to work for a little over 3 hours. I think I am going to like the place, the standards that we have to hold to are higher than almost every place I have ever worked. It is a take back to a place I worked at a couple of years ago, half assed just isn't acceptable.

The largest chunk of my time was spent cutting lamb.

Which was time consuming but not terribly difficult. I had to take a big back piece and turn it into tenderloins, saddles and loins. The hardest and most time consuming part of the process was taking the silver skin off, but even that wasn't insurmountable. Over all I was happy with the job I did on the lamb, and no one offered any suggestions (including the chef) as to how I could have done it better.

The only other thing I did in my 3 hour shift was pin-bone, skin, portion and cure copper river coho filets.


Coho of all the salmon available has to be close to my least favorite (among wild salmon), not that it is horrible or anything, I just do not favor it. Give me sockeye, king or even some farm raised Atlantic salmon anyday. If nothing else in terms of ease of butchering, the Coho is just one of the hardest (for me anyway). At the new place when we take the skin off, we have to get most of the brown and silver off of the flesh, which requires a sharper knife and much more attention to detail. If you don't get it perfect the first time, you have to try your best to get all the imperfections off and end up with a clean filet. It ended up being ok, but it took me much longer than I would have liked. I always have a hard time when I don't do something perfect right away.

I am in class right now, and the teacher is talking I really should be paying attention, that given I am not going to spellcheck.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]