Monday, October 23, 2006

Mas Frio

It is getting a little colder here in Minnesnowda. The SNR left me with chilly numb little toes, that might have been in part due to the 1 mile walk along the railroad (we were lost). I turned the heat on for the first time last night, and the termal underwear is on my body for the first time this season. I have yet to break out the hard-core layers, it isn't that cold, but in general it is getting colder. I recommend underarmor base layer for anyone thinking about riding in the winter, the shit is like magic.

I am all out of coffee right now, so I am finishing up my second cup of Kenyan Masala tea brought back as a gift from my old boss. It isn't giving me the same kick I like, the caffeine is still there, just a little different. Once upon a time I stopped drinking coffee at all for about 9 months, during which I drank copious amounts of tea instead. What the hell was I thinking, coffee kicks ass.

In other "What the hell was I thinking" news, I was an idiot when changing the chainrings on the black falcon. To make sure that I was able to get the correct chainline, I moved the chainring inside shelf of the crank. Due to the little indents in the chainring, I installed the chainring bolts backwards, the only way that I could get them tight enough. Some of you probably can guess what happened a couple of days later, but I will tell anyway. One by one the bolts worked their way loose, eventually falling out, all of this unknown to me. Friday after work, I was riding home right near the U, as the stoplight turned green, I cranked down on the pedals, and I heard a big snap crackle and pop (I swear). Onto the sidewalk, I survey the damage and realize that there was only one bolt left, and the chainring was tacoed.

Not only was the chainring damaged, but the area on the crank where the last bolt was in place was bent all to shit. Good thing I live just a few minutes walk from where this happened, so it wasn't a big deal to walk home and fix things up. Seriously, how fucking stupid is that, I should know better. Now the all black falcon is sans the black chainring and cranks, though it is still a pretty swell looking piece of transportation.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]